Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ranbir's mom on Katrina, Deepika!

It’s being whispered in Bollywood that 2009 could well mark the birth of Ranbir Kapoor, the film industry’s next superstar. He won accolades for Ayan Mukherjee’s Wake up Sid and Shimit Amin’s Rocket Singh-The Salesman of the Year. And, he rocked the box office with Raj Kumar Santoshi’s Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani. Coming as he does from a family that has ruled the roost in Bollywood for 75 long years, the 28-year-old actor is likely to keep that legacy going in the coming decade.

As he embarks on a brand new calendar year Ranbir agrees that 2009 has been truly gratifying. “I hope I made my parents proud,’’ he says. Adding, “The industry and the audience have given me the kind of love and support that I didn’t think would happen. Honestly, I’m humbled and while I love all the compliments coming my way, my career has just begun. I want to continue doing good work — and if it gets the box office that Wake up Sid or Ajab... got, well I’m thrilled. However, I still believe in something like Rocket Singh. Jaideep Sahni and Shimit Amin are talented guys, they had a message to give in the film. And, I stand by it.’’

Ranbir admits that epithets like ‘superstar’ and the ‘next big thing’ make him delirious. “But it also means loads of responsibility,’’ he says. Refuting rumours that his remuneration has shot up to Rs12 crore, the actor says, “For an actor to talk about the money he charges is disrespectful. Honestly, the only thing that I truly want is for my work to get recognition. Money, fame, adulation will come; but it can never be the focal point of my existence. With modesty I must say that I haven’t grown up wanting anything. My parents gave me a privileged lifestyle. So how much money I charge can never be the deciding factor to gauge what heights I have scaled.’’

He is also well aware that the flip side of superstardom means that he will now live in a glass house with everything from his love life to his moods getting unwarranted attention. “I certainly don’t think discussing my relationships with my co-stars comes with the territory of stardom,’’ says the actor. “I will not talk about Deepika Padukone or Katrina Kaif. It is disrespectful to them as women and to their families. Who I date is really very personal.’’ So there you go. With the adulation, Ranbir has also got the attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment