Monday, January 4, 2010

Asin says, I’m not calculative










Princessy in a deep wine gown and long flowing hair, Asin, who’s slipped effortlessly between Bollywood and cinema of the South, says that language for her, is not a condition while choosing films at all.

What matter, are her five ‘set’ criteria, “The script, my role, the director, the producer and my co-stars,” she says, “Doing movies in another language is not a problem at all. I didn’t know most of these languages before entering the industry. Thankfully, I have a flair for languages and I never used a dubbing artiste.”

So choosing movies involves careful calculation for her? “I’m not calculative at all,” she quickly responds, “I have not made any strategies or plans. Frankly, I’m not consciously thinking of a balance so to say, but finally it all depends on what comes my way. Right now, I have one or two Hindi movies in hand.”

The actress also talks about her experience at the recently concluded IFFI. “I was looking forward to meeting Sir Ben Kingsley, but couldn’t, unfortunately. But I interacted with Waheeda Rehman, and she was very kind and praised my acting.” So does she admire any other actress besides Waheeda Rehman? “It’s very hard to take names. All of them have been my favourites. It was great to interact with Waheedaji and I’ve always admired her a lot,” comes a diplomatic answer.

But she does have a favourite actor – Kamal Haasan. “Kamalji is a great actor and we were together in Chennai to celebrate his 50 years in Indian cinema.”

We hear that she plans to go back to Tamil films... “My journey in Bollywood has been great. I feel if you’re working in any cinema, be it Bollywood or down South, the audience’s reaction is the same for you. I find myself welcome in Bollywood, and I’m very comfortable here. I share a wonderful rapport with all my colleagues and seniors, from Amitabh to Amir Khan, and Sushmita to Aishwarya to many others,” she shares.

The actress also takes interest in social causes. “I’ve liked to involve myself in social projects since my school days, but I haven’t talked about it much. I just feel that people in our industry have this weird mindset, that if you’re associated with social issues, then you’re trying to get publicity for yourself. Hence, I would rather keep myself away from getting such publicity.”

No comments:

Post a Comment